DAN completed two studies on recreational diving with diabetes. The first study followed adults with diabetes who were previously certified to dive. The second study followed teenagers with diabetes immediately following their certification training.
This study was completed in 2005.
Historically, DAN has advised divers with insulin-dependent diabetes against diving because of the threat of a hypoglycemic episode underwater. However, in a 1996 survey, DAN discovered that 177 of its members were diabetic and scuba diving. Of these, approximately 74 percent were insulin-dependent.
As a result of these findings, DAN launched two observational studies in 1997 to reevaluate the current guidelines for divers with diabetes.
All participants had to demonstrate good general blood glucose control prior to entry to the study. The divers showed effective control of blood glucose levels during multiday diving under benign subtropical conditions, producing relatively few cases of hypoglycemia, and no significant untoward events.
The results of this study contributed to DAN’s new Directives concernant le diabète et la plongée de loisir.
Lectures supplémentaires et références
- You can download the following related workshop proceedings in the Bibliothèque des publications du DAN:
- 2005 Diabetes and Recreational Diving
- Directives concernant le diabète et la plongée de loisir
Publications Révisées par des Pairs
- Dear GdeL, Pollock NW, Uguccioni DM, Dovenbarger J, Feinglos MN, Moon RE. Plasma glucose responses in recreational divers with insulin-requiring diabetes. Undersea and Hyperb Med. 2004; 31(3):291-301.
- Pollock NW. Correspondence Re: Safety of recreational scuba diving in type 1 diabetic patients: the Deep Monitoring programme. Diabetes Metab. 2009; 35:336-7.
- Dear G del, Dovenbarger JA. Diabetes among recreational divers. UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting 1994.
- Denoble PJ, Pollock NW, Dear GdeL, Uguccioni DM, Vann RD. Diving fatalities involving divers with diabetes mellitus. UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting 2006; 33(5):364-365.
- Pollock NW, Uguccioni DM, Dear GdeL, Bates S, Albushies TM, Prosterman SA. Plasma glucose response to recreational diving in teenage divers with insulin-requiring diabetes mel. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2005; 32(4):257-258.
- Uguccioni DM, Dear G deL, Dovenbarger JA, Feinglos M, Moon RE, Pollock NW. Plasma glucose response to recreational diving in insulin-requiring diabetics and controls. Undersea and Hyperb Med. 2000; 27(supp):66.
- Uguccioni, DM, Pollock NW, Dovenbarger JA, Dear G del, Feinglos MN, Moon RE. Blood glucose response to single and repetitive dives in insulin-requiring diabetics: a preliminary. Undersea & Hyperb Med. 1998; 25(suppl):52.