When people contact DAN for a medical referral, we generally give them the physician’s primary contact information to arrange an appointment. They may be seeking a fitness-to-dive physical, or they may need an evaluation of a possible dive-related injury. Patients experiencing acute signs and symptoms are always referred to their local emergency department or acute care clinic.
DAN may also provide a referral physician’s contact information for use by another doctor who would like a consultation with someone knowledgeable about diving fitness or dive injuries.
If you wish to join our referral network, please review the criteria below and complete the online Physician Referral Network Application along with the required copies of your medical license and CME certificate(s) in diving and/or hyperbaric medicine. After we have reviewed and approved your documents, your name and contact information will be added to our database. This database is not accessible by general public; our staff members handle each request individually, considering the diver’s needs and the location and profile of the physician.
Physician Referral Criteria
Applicants must be physicians (M.D., D.O., or international equivalent) with demonstrated training in diving medicine. Required documentation includes:
- Copy of current medical license, and
- Proof of Dive Medicine training (at least one of the following):
- Accredited Hyperbaric Medicine Fellowship or Board Certification in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine program
- Military or commercial training as a Dive Medical Officer (DMO/UMO)
- Successful completion of an accredited dive medicine CME course within the last 5 years
If you’re already a part of DAN’s physician referral network, update your information here.