Simple Steps for a Safe Return
If you’ve been out of the water for a while, take time to assess your health and fitness, refresh your skills and equipment, and review your travel plans before your next dives.
DAN has created this practical guide to help you get back to diving safely. So take a few minutes, read over these recommendations, and be prepared for your next dives.
Return To Diving Safely, Step by Step
Review the whole plan or jump to the section that most interests you.
We’ve made it easy to prepare at your own pace.
- There are many reasons divers may not dive for a while; the important thing is to address potential issues before you get back to it.
- If you’ve been ill or absent from diving for an extended period, consult your physician before you return to diving.
- Take steps to get in shape.
- Follow DAN’s Guidelines for Lifelong Medical Fitness to Dive.
- Have equipment professionally serviced according to the manufacturers’ specifications.
- Inspect your gear for signs of wear and tear.
- Familiarize yourself with new equipment before using it.
- All training agencies offer refresher courses, which provide excellent opportunities to shore up knowledge and skills.
- Contact your local dive store or dive professional about continuing education or refresher training.
- Research health, safety, and testing requirements at your destination.
- Learn what steps your dive operator is taking to protect you.
- Ensure you have adequate and current dive accident and travel insurance.
Watch How Easy It Is To Return To Diving Safely
From assessing your health to refreshing your dive skills, this video will guide you every step of the way.
Download DAN’s Return To Diving Guide
Download DAN’s Return to Diving Guide, and take it with you on your next dive adventure.
DAN Customer Service
Phone: +61-3-9886 9166
Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-9 p.m. AEST
Latin America & Caribbean
Phone: +1-202-470-0929 (English)
Phone: +52-55-8421-9866 (Spanish)
24/7 Emergency Hotline
+1 (919) 684-9111
1800 088 200
+62 21 5085-8719
DAN medics are available 24 / 7 / 365
International collect calls are accepted
Medical Information Line
Get answers to your non-emergency related, health and diving questions.
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. ET
+1 (919) 684-2948, Option 4
Online: Ask A Medic
Allow 24-48 hours for a response.
Dive Safety Resources